Sunday, August 29, 2010

Taco Night

Yesterday was grocery shopping day. Hubby was working evening overtime and would not be home for supper. Two kids wanted tacos and one pizza. Since I really have to be in the right mood for pizza tacos won out. We had tacos, Spanish rice, "refried" beans and loaded nachos.

I experimented with the beans and was really happy with the results and so were the kids.

In a little bit of olive oil I sauteed some minced shallot and garlic. I added a can of black beans that I had rinsed well. I poured enough chicken broth just to cover the beans. I put the lid on and cooked them low and slow until the broth was absorbed. The beans started to burst and were oh so creamy.


The spanish rice I made with a brown rice blend, onion, garlic, chicken broth and salsa. At the end I stirred in a can of pigeon peas.

Today I'm making spicy fried chicken and baked potato salad. Both I can prep ahead of time.
At 4 we meet at the reservoir for family photos. People laugh because I always buy matching shirts. It's the Libra in me. I like things to match - my socks, my underwear, my dishes and our shirts. And as much as people laugh they comment on how cohesive our photos look. Oldest will bring a change of clothes for her senior pictures. OMG she's a senior already.

1 comment:

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I love you. The whole matching thing just cracks me up. It's so wonderful to have friends of such diverse behaviors … and yet which share so much in common. Thanks for the smile … I'm sure others who read this will *match* that response. :D

Visitors