Saturday, August 28, 2010

Blueberry Cake

Someone brought zucchini bread to work the other day. The running joke in the office is that it must be good for you because it's a vegetable. Just like cheesecake is good for you because it's a dairy product. Miss Naturally Skinny says "you {all of you} have such horrible diets." Good thing we have partitions and she can't see my facial expressions or hand gestures. I didn't eat any of her bread and either did the girls around me out of principle. Half a loaf still sits on the counter. The guys all had a piece. Maybe because she talks to men much differently. I asked my row mate and second mother if I wore a strap on do you think the conversation would change.

So, on my day off it was rainy and cool and a perfect day to spend puttering in the kitchen. I made lamb chops for supper, prepped supper for the next two nights and made coconut ice cream to compliment the blueberry cake I baked. My mom used to make blueberry buckle. Hubby's never heard of buckle. According to one of the food shows I watch a buckle is just a cake with fruit. So as I was looking through my mom's recipe boxes (she gave them all to me) I found a recipe for blueberry cake. I never found her buckle recipe. That I found in my Grandma's copy of Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook (1962) under quick breads.
A little aside - I always thought my mom was just really supportive of my love for cooking. I started around 12 y/o. I would cook, she would clean. I was in heaven. Then I realized a few years ago (and she confirmed it) she hates to cook.
The cake recipe was not in my mom's hand writing so it must be one of my old neighbors. So, I took the recipe added my own twists and topped it with the cinnamon crumble from the buckle recipe. It's a lovely moist dessert, a fantastic coffee cake and heck if you want to call it a fruit eat it for lunch.
Blueberry Cake
1 Cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 eggs, separated
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
4 cups blueberries

Cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add egg yolks and vanilla and mix well. Sift together dry ingredients and add alternating with the buttermilk. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into the batter. Spoon half the batter into a 9x13 pan. Wash and dry blueberries. Pour over batter. Sprinkle with a dusting of flour. Spoon remaining batter on top and spread as evenly as you can. The batter is thick and sticky - don't worry if all the blueberries are not covered. Top with cinnamon crumble. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 min.

Cinnamon Crumble
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
Mix sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter till crumbly.

No comments:

Visitors