Saturday, April 17, 2010

Things that baffle me

I just read Annie's blog and I have to comment.

She writes about a woman who wrote a book about her horrible ordeal. She was let go from her job and had to sell her seven bedroom house and move into her house by the sea. I'm guessing this house is much smaller. She's fine in case you were worried about her.

The story reminded me of an article I read recently. A couple and their son live in a 1,600 square foot home. Her husband is 6'4" so it is really tricky decorating such a small place for three people. She has to be really organized and buy smaller furniture that can still fit her large husband. Her son is 6 or so. Really, really this is hard in such a small home. What!?

Is this because the norm now is to have humongous homes. Homes that are so big and expensive that half the rooms are unfurnished.

I grew up in a family of four in 1,100 square feet. Did we get creative? Yes. Did we sometimes bump into each other and have to work it out? Yes.

I have a 1,600 square foot home. Same number as family above. Hubby and I have three kids at home. Their were four at one point. Hubby is 6'7". My kids all take after daddy. And we have more than enough room. I don't buy special furniture. I am super organized but that's because I'm anal like my dad. An entire article was written about what a difficult task living in such a small home is. I don't get.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I think we are wimps. We think giving up a $5 coffee is a sacrifice. We think having to listen to someone say "I think your religion is silly" makes us a candidate for martyrdom. We think we have the "right" to happiness as defined by BHG editors.
And then we think we can share our struggles on tv and everyone will listen.
OK, ironic from a blogger, but at least I KNOW I usually write about trivia.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

PUH - LEEZE!!! This woman needs a major Reality check.

Visitors