Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Eve

I've never found New Year's Eve to be that exciting. I've been to a few good parties over the years but I'm really not looking for that now. With the kids home and hubby often working I started doing an appetizer party for them. They get to stay up late and graze on all kinds of food and I get to cook. This is relaxing for me and keeps me awake way past bed time. Hubby was home this year. The kids are old enough to have some input on the menu and it was a fun quiet evening. Son was going to his girlfriends until I asked what I should make. He started naming off appetizers until I said wait, you won't be here. Well, can girlfriend come here? So girlfriend came here. Youngest had a friend over. Hubby and I had some friends stop by. Oldest went camping with boyfriend and his family.

The menu was

shrimp cocktail
steamed mussels
peperoni bread
sausage stuffed mushrooms
sausage pinwheels
salami bread
cheddar potato puffs
spinach balls
buffalo wing dip
pigs in a blanket

My girlfriend says that who you spend New Years with is who will be in your life for the coming year. Looking back I'm not sure how accurate that is but, it is interesting that oldest wasn't here this year. She turns 18 y/o January 19 and in the middle of her senior year plans to move to Arizona with boyfriend to live in the camper behind bio's home. Bio said jump and she said how high. I see some very interesting and difficult life lessons coming her way. And her bedroom will be here.

Hoping all my blog friends have a happy, healthy new year filled with love.

And tonight hubby and I are going on a date. We're both home at the same time on a non school night (gotta love our odd shifts). It must be love because he's taking me to see Johnny in The Tourist.

1 comment:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

A very Happy and Healthy 2011 to you and your family.
Lovely menu, we had prime rib, lasagna, spinach salad, guacamole with chips, beet pesto crostini with goat cheese, buche de noel, and you all are always invited.
Oldest daughter is nuts...hopefully just temporarily.
Thanks for the gift of you, Kim.

Visitors