Thursday, December 31, 2009

Crops be damned

I have a moment to catch up. Christmas was wonderfully quiet and relaxing. MIL did not call to check on our plans until the 22. Hubby explained that he was working Christmas Eve and Christmas night and that Christmas day he would be sleeping. She came over with FIL to drop off presents to everyone Christmas Eve morning. Hubby said anytime after 8 was fine. Gee, thanks! The night before we took the kids to see Bright Nights in Springfield, MA. The light display was awesome. Now, I am an early riser but before company came I wanted to run the vacuum to pick up the tumble weeds left by the dog and clean the bathroom. I also thought it might be nice if I was showered and dressed prior to their arrival. With a nap in the afternoon I was all set for Christmas Eve.

The evening we spent at my girlfriends open house. She has ham for dinner and I bring my scalloped sweet potatoes. Plus we had pasta, veggies and dip, cheese and crackers and homemade cheesecake. We were home early so hubby could get ready for work. The kids went to bed with no problem and Santa was able to unload the presents under the tree.

Youngest crawled in at 4:45AM. She was wide awake and talking nonstop about how she thought Santa's evil twin brother (didn't know he had one) stole Christmas but it must have been a bad dream because she thought she saw presents under the tree. After the third time she asked what time it was and should she go back to sleep I suggested we get up and make the biscuits for breakfast. She sipped hot cocoa while I cooked. The only dilemma was I told her she could look but not touch and she had to wait until everyone was awake and Daddy was home (at 7:30). Daddy finally arrived and presents were open. Kids were happy. My parents came for breakfast - baked french toast, cheddar biscuits and sausage gravy. Then we were all off to my brothers. A few hours there and two swims in the indoor pool and we headed home. Daddy had set up the new wii before going to bed and game day began. We even had son playing with the family.

I received my wii fit and am now addicted. I even let my crops rot in Farmville to play the wii. Good thing I enjoy it because after all the measurements and calculations the wii fit gave youngest the body of a blue snap line and I look like a FAT umpa lumpa. OK, I know I have not been as regular as I should be on the treadmill and I am not as slim as I once was but really my character is almost round.

Last night was son's fifteenth birthday. He wanted stuffed bread for dinner. Instead of making it we took everyone out to dinner instead. We came home to double chocolate mocha trifle for his birthday "cake" of choice.

Tonight hubby goes back to work - on a full moon, New Year's Eve in a snow storm. Fun first night back for a cop. The kids voted for our traditional New Year's Eve appetizer party. They each picked a couple appetizers and I will soon be off cooking up a storm. We have deviled eggs, bacon wrapped scallops, steamed mussels, shrimp cocktail, pigs in a blanket, taco dip, buffalo wing dip and chips, meatballs, and mozzarella sticks. Oh, and their is a little trifle left over.

Blessed New Year's to you and your families.

1 comment:

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

And a blessed new year to you and yours! Peace.

Visitors