Sunday, December 20, 2009

Shoes and Christmas

Last week when I brought oldest to get new jeans youngest said her shoes were a little tight. We looked for new shoes and she kept looking at sneakers. Do your sneakers fit? Yes, well then we can wait to buy new ones. So, in the midst of Saturday morning chores I had youngest pull out all of her shoes and try them on - all tight. Off to the "mall" (more like a shopping center) we went - coupons in hand. Almost forgetting that this is the week end before Christmas and a big snow was predicted that night. The girls and I laughed at the traffic that jammed the roads. We talked while waiting our turn. Well, youngest who was wearing a 6 1/2 turns out to be a size 8 now. Hello, a little tight? She now has new sneakers and a cool pair of black boots that can double as snow boots.

It was oldest's turn to cook last night. Steaks on the grill and homemade onion rings. Yum! It was a recipe from Barefoot Contessa. I'm thinking tonight is a chicken pot pie kind of night.

I'm thinking MIL is as miffed at me as I am at her. Other than a generic Christmas card we have not heard from her. Hubby says he is going to wait and see if she calls. He is predicting a phone call around the 23rd. I'm thinking he can field the phone call and I can go on my merry way.

Christmas Eve we will go to my girlfriends open house - casual enough to go in pj's if you want. She always makes a ham and I bring my scalloped sweet potatoes. Christmas morning we will open presents when hubby gets home from work then my parents will come over for breakfast. Baked french toast that has spent the night soaking in cream, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon and cheddar biscuits with sausage gravy will be the stars of the show. This will get my parents to my brothers house after 10. I could care less if my parents show up at 5. I'll take my shower when they are here but, my SIL would like some quiet family time opening presents and be showered and dressed before my parents arrive. She said if we could hold off until 10 she would be happy. After breakfast I'll tuck hubby into bed and we'll make our way to my brothers for a few. Of course, I am a morning person like my Dad and my best memories were of all my grandparents spending the night and being there when I woke up. They looked pretty funny - my brother and I were up at the crack of dawn and they had just gone to bed around 3 after playing cards most of the night. We didn't leave milk and cookies but a highball and cookies.

1 comment:

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

You're gonna *shower* with them??? LOL - it's a typo and one I can understand the meaning intended, but I still laughed like hell when I read it! Even more when I reread it! :D Love ya! I'll check back in in a few ...

Visitors