Sunday, September 23, 2012

Mabon

Hubby arrived home in the wee hours of the morning from the airport.  Like 1230 or so.  I woke early and sipped coffee and enjoyed the quiet.  Son was soon up and ready to head out with his fellow marines for a day at Catamount and the zip lines.  Hubby woke and we were able to visit before youngest rolled out of bed at 1010.  She just looked at me and said, "I told you I'd sleep until 10."  Tough life she has.

I headed off to finish grocery shopping and hubby headed off to complete his errands.

For supper I pulled the bounty of our CSA delivery and started cooking.  I made acorn and butternut squash roasted in the oven and then mashed together with a touch of butter and a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg.  I sliced some onion and added kale to a big pot until it wilted.  I add barley, broth and a hint of cream and simmered it covered low until the barley absorbed all the yummy goodness.  And I rubbed a pork loin with my homemade Za'tar mix and roasted it.  The fat was crisp and brown and the meat was juicy.  And with the drippings a brown gravy.  The meat really didn't need gravy but, I never pass an opportunity to have some.  

Ah, what a way to welcome autumn.  Today the four of us are off for a hike.

No comments:

Visitors