Monday, March 1, 2010

Awesome book

The First Thing and the Last by Allan G Johnson is a must read. I bought this book last week end. I usually read several books at a time until I eventually finish one. This book though painful to read at times captured my attention and carried me all the way to the end. My hubby had to tell me to put the book down and go to bed. I woke up and read some more and spent the afternoon reading the rest of it.

It is a book about domestic violence. This is why it is painful. As you read you realize that this could happen to any one. This could have happened to me. The pain, fear and loss of self permeates the pages and seeps into the reader. The reaction to the situation by friends and family made me furious. It also made me wonder if this is the same reaction I would receive.

I think everyone should read this book. I think it should be read and discussed in high school classes.

No comments:

Visitors