Friday, July 6, 2012

Getting Ready to Leave

This morning I leave for class three of six at Sage Mountain.  David Winston is teaching the class this week end.  After help from a friend of hubby's my printer is up and working again so I was able to print out homework. 

My group is making the potluck dishes for Saturday night and our theme is Mediterranean.  I experimented with a new recipe on the family and that is what I'm bringing.  Za'atar Chicken and Fattoush.  Za'atar is a spice blend which includes sumac.  I had picked some up about a month ago to try and here it is.  As hubby would say, of course you did.  Sumac is a little bitter and lemony tasting at the same time.  Here's the recipes.

Za’atar Chicken with Fattoush


Chicken:
½ cup olive oil
2 Tbsp Za’atar
3 ½ lbs. chicken pieces

Za’atar Spice: makes ¾ cup
½ cup thyme
¼ cup sumac
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp oregano


Fattoush
2 pita breads
3 scallions, halved and sliced
1 cucumber, chopped
3 tomatoes, diced
Bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
Bunch fresh mint, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
½ Cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Sea salt
½ tsp sumac

Chicken:

Mix oil and Za’atar together. Rub into the chicken pieces and marinate a couple of hours or overnight. Place chicken pieces in a roasting pan skin side up. Roast at 425º 45 minutes. Chicken should be cooked through and the skin crisp and a burnt umber color.

Fattoush:

Cut the pita breads lengthwise and then into triangles. Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook 5 minutes.
In a bowl mix the lemon juice, oil and salt. Add the scallions, cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley, mint and garlic. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with sumac. Serve with the pita triangles.

I went down the checklist and I'm all packed.  Luckily I spent last evening with a group of Goddesses.  I was so frazzled from work and their deep thoughts and laughter made the stress all melt away.  Work has been really busy - really. really.  To the point that I'm not sure where to start and I have checklists for my checklists.  I think I'm going to bite the bullet and work a few four day weeks to catch up.  My three nine hour days are just not enough.



No comments:

Visitors