Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July

Today would have been my grandma's 105th birthday.  Perfect day for her to enter the world.  Not only is she the greatest woman to ever walk the face of the earth (in my very biased opinion) but she truly was a firecracker.  I know you are still with me.  Love you!!!

Yesterday was the family picnic.  It was a cool rainy day.  Son had to leave early so he could go to work.  We discussed taking two cars.  But, hubby liked my thought.  We all left early.  Son went to work.  I finished my needlepoint for my cousin's new baby, and he took youngest to see Transformers and then to the book store.  Son wasn't interested in the movie.  Youngest loves the transformer series.

I did my good deeds for the week and talked for a long time with great grandma.  The conversation changed slightly from the past but the essence was the same.  There has not been one good teacher since her mother taught school.  Not only did great great grandma teach school but she was the principal as well.  No one is hiring because they are too busy waiting to see what that awful president of ours is going to do.  And, why are so many cars going down her road - all there is are a couple of farms and the state forest.  These kids must be up to no good.   I nod and smile and let her talk.  There is no point in arguing or even discussing the matter.  It really is rather amusing.

I answered the questions about what do you hear from oldest.  Not much.  She answers her father's weekly e-mails and that is about it. 

I made my rhubarb pie which my father-in-love thinks is the greatest thing ever.  When he tries something new of mine he compares it to my pie.  My crab cakes he said were right up there with the rhubarb pie (best compliment ever).   My rhubarb pie is mixed with sugar and spice and chopped pecans.  It is topped with a crumb topping.  Not a strawberry in sight.

I also made my potato salad.  Youngest asked for that.  Son wanted to but he refused to say he liked the same thing as his sister.

Today we eat leftovers.  We leave on vacation Friday and we need to purge the fridge.  We have ribs and salad, manicotti and eggplant parm, lots of fresh fruit and a few other tid bits.

This morning is the town parade.  Hubby will be driving a fire truck in the half mile parade.  I get to watch one for the first time.  No more girl scout marches.  Yeah!

Hope you enjoy your day and your independence.

No comments:

Visitors