Friday, July 1, 2011

passing

So many things to blog about, so many things on my mind and in my life but.....

I got the call last night.  My friend Mare who has battled lung cancer and most recently brain cancer passed from this life.

A few months ago I saw her.  We sat on her porch in the sunshine.  Words would form in her brain but could not come out correctly.  She was frustrated.  But, then we just sat.  No words really need to be spoken.  She had greeted me that day with a hug and the few words that she could form and tumble out correctly - I may never see you again.  We parted with hugs and I told her how much I loved her.

I did see her again.  The radiation made her bloated and weak but her words were clear and urgent.  Our last day together she told me of her funeral arrangements that she had made.  She was putting her affairs in order.  We were on a trip to sell our unwanted jewelry.  She walked slowly, a cane in one hand and my hand in her other.  I treated her to lunch and we talked.  Surface talk and deep talk.  Smiles and laughter.  I knew and she knew the time was coming near.

And then the call.  I talked to her husband.  Offered what help and comfort I could through his tears.  I will be at the memorial service next week.  And today I reflected.  I could hear her laugh and see her smile.  I will miss you Marieann Halloran.  Blessings on your journey my sweet friend.  I love you!

No comments:

Visitors