Friday, May 24, 2013

Graduation

Son graduates from high school in a few weeks.  He has no desire to attend the ceremony.  Hubby thought he had to or he wouldn't receive his diploma.  I assured him that was not the case.  His attending is not a fight I chose to have.  He expreseed this desire back at Christmas time when bio was threatening to attend,  I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it.  He has no emotional connection to the school.  He claims the only important graduation is the one from boot camp.  The Marines the be all and end all for him. He didn't attend the 8th grade outing, the prom and now graduation.  I did ask him. OK I told him, he needed to attend the awards ceremony for his class.
I had him tell the powers at be that he would not be at the ceremony.  They are deeply disappointed.  They are trying to get him to go.  Good luck with that. I did let them know I was aware of his decission.
And the funny thing is the kids will not receive their diplomas at the ceremony.  They need to have so many days in for the year and they will not be able to get them until the next day when they return from project graduation. One more thing he is skipping.  So, he'll drive up in the morning and receive his diploma with everyone else.
I did ask about giving him a graduation/going away party.  He was up for that.  After thinking about it the invites do not mention graduation.  It asks people to help us celebrate son before he leaves for the Marines in July.  I printed them out on stars and stripes stationary.
I went over the menu with him.  I want food I can prepare ahead and doesn't have someone manning the grill all day.  This is what we came up with:
  • Pulled pork sandwiches
  • Beef briscuit
  • Chili
  • Potato Salad
  • Macaroni Salad
  • Cole Slaw
  • Fruit Salad
  • Cookies, toffee bars and ice cream
Son, I do celebrate the man you are becoming.  You are determined, focused, hard working and able to think for yourself.  You are considerate, responsable and a patient teacher (unless your sister is involved).  You will go far.  Love you!
    

1 comment:

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

My absolute best wishes to "Son."
And you are such a LoVe to not make the graduation ceremony an issue … and honor his wishes. You are a wickedly awesome mom!

Visitors